August 10, 2010

Whirlwind return to journalism concludes with 14s title win

The Tri-Valley 14s made sure my brief return to sports journalism went the distance. The All-Star team from the Bay Area ended up winning the Babe Ruth Pacific Southwest Regional title on Saturday and will represent the region at the World Series in Virginia later this month.

Last week reminded me why I decided to be a journalist in the ninth grade. It's not seeing your byline published in a newspaper or on a Web site. It's not for awards or recognition. It's meeting new people and telling their stories. It's having conversations and crafting a written account to inform, highlight and hold accountable.

A few years ago, I probably would have scoffed at the idea of covering Little League. There was an older gentleman who would call the Tri-City Herald looking to publish bowling league scores. Faye, the caller, was usually wasted, but my boss, the sports editor, always took the time to talk with him. I used to think my boss was just patronizing him, but I understand now. 

It doesn't matter if it's the local bowling league or the PBA World Championship; a Babe Ruth regional tourney title game or Game 7 of the World Series. Whether it be sports, news, entertainment, people want their stories told.

Moving, the deterioration of the print industry and the desire to have weekends off have made me decide to pursue other dreams, but journalism will always have a piece of my heart.

And who knows? Maybe sports journalism and I will find each other again. I didn't anticipate the opportunity to cover the Babe Ruth regional tournament. And you can be sure that someone somewhere has a story waiting to be told ... No matter how insignificant it may seem at first.

Day 4 story:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...