May 13, 2010

Labor of love

Without further ado, I present the revamped coffee table. 
 

This project was the hardest yet. I have a feeling the dining set makeover planned for the coming months will trump this. But until then ...

She turned out better than I anticipated considering the many battle wounds acquired during the past seven years, which included splitting in half from a night of table dancing on St. Patrick's Day in Bruce's apartment, numerous stains from spilled beverages and food and pen scribbles.

The first and most difficult step in her makeover consisted of alternating layers of wood filler to cover up the cracks and screws from where Bruce put her back together and sanding to smooth out the surface. 

Next came two coats of primer. I used Kilz, which was really good, but super smelly.

Finally came the paint. I went with Behr Premium Plus Ultra semi-gloss in "Ultra Pure White." We used the same paint in the transformation of the fiance's garage sale bookcase he used in college.

The plan was to top the table with some kind of wallpaper, wrapping paper, fabric or stenciling, but that's on hold for now. I still need to get a knob for the drawer, which likely will happen this weekend. I've heard Hobby Lobby is the place to get cheap, cute knobs. Maybe this one?


 

Closer looks at the crack.


My lame attempt at styling. This will definitely change. I'd like to get a tray and fill it with fun things. 





Inspiration.


That candy pink chevron pillow NEEDS to live on my couch. The pops of red and blue contrast so well with the white.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Wow, I can't believe how you made that crack disappear. Very cool!

jonalynn said...

I definitely lost my patience a time or two. It was a difficult process. Lots of sanding and wood filler. Now, I'll know who to thank when my early carpal tunnel sets in.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

You did a fantastic job - looks great!

jonalynn said...

Thank you so much, Laurel! It was not easy, but totally worth it.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...