May 20, 2010

Cool like the ocean / Burned like a summer home / Fooled by the notion / That the sums don't add up at all ...

Hopefully, I will hear those lyrics on the night of Saturday, July 17. The music gods have smiled on me and brought the Silversun Pickups, one of my favorite bands, to Tempe. I pray they play that line of perfectly-crafted lo-fi goodness, which is from what I consider their best song, "Three Seed."

As a way to combat my insomnia Tuesday night, I perused Facebook on my phone. Imagine my delight when I saw "Pre-Sale for the Portland, OR and Tempe, AZ shows start tomorrow at 10 a.m." as a status update for the band's page illuminating the screen. I woke up at 9:20 a.m. barely able to contain my excitement at the thought of seeing them for the first time in concert.

Their quick return to the AZ is a bit unexpected considering they opened for Muse at the US Airways Center at the beginning of April. I looked into tickets, but they were about the cost of our power bill for the month. Their upcoming show at the Marquee Theatre, which I've never been to, is way more in my $$$ range. Against Me! and the Henry Clay People are slated to open.

I've followed the Los Angeles group from their early stages as indie rock darlings to full-fledged headliners. Their spin on shoegaze could be classified as mellow, dreamy, fuzzed-out alternative rock.

And I thought my live show luck had run out as evidenced by Modest Mouse's geographical taunting of me with their shows in New Mexico and Colorado that I'm unable to attend.


Top tracks: "Three Seed," "Ne Plus Ultra," "The Royal We," "Growing Old Is Getting Old"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...