December 13, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ... Sort of

It's been difficult getting into the Christmas spirit this year in the AZ, considering it's been in the 70s and 80s. As someone who was born and raised in the Northwest, I associate the holiday season with cold, sweater weather, not sun-drenched, breezy days that require air conditioning. The fiance and I also decided to forgo having a tree and decorations since we're spending Christmas in Washington.

So it's easy to see why I'm not lining up to go caroling or baking batches of cookies. At least that's how I felt until yesterday. The fiance and I were walking around downtown Phoenix after leaving the Food City Tamale Festival (which was so fun and yummy). I had heard of CityScape and suggested we go exploring to see what the new retail and restaurant area was all about.

Imagine our surprise at the sight of an outdoor ice skating rink in the middle of the complex. It was almost surreal. And of course we had to partake. The rink was modest and the ice not well maintained, but skating along to Christmas music was a blast. 

And it got me thinking. As much as I can't wait to be home, in the cold, celebrating with my family, I appreciate the different experience that Arizona provides. Because there's not too many other places one can ice skate in 78 degrees.

 
 

1 comment:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...