March 14, 2011

From the dinner table to the couch

Sometimes a project comes out of nowhere. And such was the case with my napkins-turned-throw pillow DIY (remember the sneak peek?).

It started with a trip to Fashion Square for skincare products. And how convenient the path to my face ish goes through Anthro. I made a beeline for the clearance section and to my surprise, found a pair of beautiful ikat-pattern cloth napkins. Since there were only two left, I couldn't use them for place settings. But they were so pretty, thus I needed them in my life somehow.

The wheels started turning. And then the DIY light bulb went off ... A throw pillow (which isn't a stretch considering pillows are my decor obsession). And I've been on the hunt for something to break up the geometric-heavy pillows on the couch. So with a little help from my all-around fab friend Correne, I now have a beautiful 20x20 pillow that only cost $14.58 (including tax).


1. Choose napkins and pillow insert


The 20x20 pillow insert was $10.99 at Michaels, but I used a 50% off coupon. I recommend signing up for their rewards program if it's offered in your state or their online coupons.

2. Iron napkins


3. Line up napkin edges and sew three sides


This is where my homie Correne came in. She is a master sewer. I am not. It was my first time using a sewing machine and she was so patient with me and came to the rescue when I messed up. :)

4. Stuff pillow insert into open pocket


5. Sew open pocket end closed and enjoy the fact you now own a beautiful custom pillow for less than $15.


And just to prove bargains really do exist out there ...


Also my big "eff you" to over-priced decor stores charging $853 for cute pillows I'll never be able to afford. 

 And if you're inspired, these pretties might be coming to a sale bin near you. 

If you like what you see, check out my other DIY projects.

16 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

WOW..this is truly incredible! What a great idea and that pillow looks amazing:) Well done, darling and wish you a lovely Monday morning

Holly said...

Amazing pillows, the finished product looks awesome!

(Who the EFF would think of paying $853 for stinking pillows - they need to be slapped!)

Caitlin @ Desert Domicile said...

LOVE this! I have a stack of clearance napkins waiting to be transformed into pillows but like you, I have no sewing talent haha

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

I LOVE this pattern!!! Well done, you!

jonalynn said...

Diana: Thank you so much! Hope you have a fabulous Monday, too!

Holly: I'm glad you like it. It's disgusting how much some decor costs these days!

Caitlin: I bet you have some amazing napkins. You could always bring them up to Phoenix and my friend can hook it up. :)

Ally: You are so sweet! That means a lot coming from you!

Lindsey said...

Love it!!! Looks so good and DUH bargains exist!! I wouldn't have a blog name if they didn't!

erika @ small shop said...

Oh my gosh, what a great project!!! This rocks. You rock.

I am now fearful of what I may do with some nifty 1970's vintage napkins I have from Spain....

Joi said...

Lovely. My name is Joi and I am addicted to throw pillows, too. ; )

Gabriella said...

Oh my! How cool is that? Love it!!

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

Hell yeah that's a great idea I've done this before even went as far as to using a scarf babahaha. Why not? They turned up nice!

Sarah said...

Awesome article! Creative, practical and inexpensive project!

jonalynn said...

Linds: Bargains don't usually happen for me!!! Send some good thrifty vibes my way!

Erika: Please, please, please make pillows with your vintage napkins! I would love to see how they turn out!

Joi: We definitely need to start a Throw Pillows Anonymous. And pretty sure you have amazing pillows in your casa!

Bri: Post those pics ASAP because I'm sure they're hot!

Gabriella and Sarah: Thanks so much!

living well said...

Those look amazing! I NEED to try this!!

Amber Interiors said...

That is fantastic!!! Love when bloggers use there noggins!

mandyface said...

Genius! Don't mind if I follow in your lovely footsteps!

deliciously organized said...

wish I could sew! seriously need to learn...

gorgeous pillow!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...