November 11, 2010

David Arnold Niehaus: 1935 – 2010

One of the most spectacular voices to ever grace a microphone was silenced Wednesday night. Dave Niehaus, the longtime announcer for the Seattle Mariners, died from a heart attack at his home, leaving behind a legendary legacy that included some really great catchphrases.

The Hall of Fame broadcaster had been with the Mariners from the first pitch at the Kingdome in 1977 and endeared fans listening in with his sayings that included, "My, oh my," "Fly away!" and "Get out the rye bread and mustard, Grandma, it's grand salami time!"

I will never forget his smile, enthusiasm and love of baseball. You know you have something special when the best part of a sports team isn't even on the field. That's what Dave Niehaus meant to me. It hasn't been easy watching the Mariners the past few years, but Dave was the silver lining.

He truly was the voice of my childhood. A voice that will live on in every Mariners fan's heart.


I still get chills hearing his call of the Mariners' 1995 ALDS-clinching win against the Yankees. Listen to some of Dave's famous calls here, compliments of my hometown newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...