July 20, 2010

Seen live: Silversun Pickups + Against Me! + The Henry Clay People



I can't even begin to describe how amazing the Silversun Pickups show was Saturday night. I had wanted to see the L.A. rockers live for a few years, and it was totally worth the wait. 

The foursome performed a quality mix of songs and pumped up the crowd with witty banter and incredible on-stage energy.


You get the impression the former indie-rock darlings play their music like it's the first time each night and love connecting with their fans via a great live concert.

And in saving the best for almost last, the SSPU granted my wish and played "Three Seed," my favorite tune of theirs, in the three-song encore.


As for the openers, the Henry Clay People put on a show worthy of veteran performers. I got a chance to talk with lead singer Joey Siara on my way back from the bathroom and getting a beer between their set and Against Me!. Joey was totally down to earth and humble in thanking me for coming out to the Marquee.


The highlight of the Henry Clay People's set was drummer Eric Scott, who rejoined the band after getting laid off from his day-job. His loss definitely was our gain as the husky dude killed it on the sultry tune "Saturday Night."


Going into the concert, I was skeptical as to why the SSPU would tab Against Me! as their tour mates, and my suspicions were confirmed after the Florida-based punk outfit's set. Everything from their attire to their facial expressions to their performance was cheesy, unimpressive and the only flaw in an otherwise solid show. I just wasn't feeling it.


Come to find out the SSPU and Against Me! became good friends after doing a radio show tour together. And if we learned anything after Saturday night, it's sometimes you shouldn't take your homies on the road.

Silversun Pickups set list:
Growing Old Is Getting Old
Well Thought Out Twinkles
Sort Of 
There's No Secrets This Year
The Royal We
Little Lovers So Polite
It's Nice To Know You Work Alone
Future Foe Scenarios
Kissing Families
Catch And Release
Panic Switch
Lazy Eye

Encore: 
Substitution
Three Seed
Common Reactor

Even more visuals from the show:

 Disclaimer: I apologize some of the photos are blurry, have rock hands in them, etc. I need a new camera and there was beer consumed during the taking of these images. Enjoy.

 
  
Nothing like a little new vinyl to usher in a lazy, post-concert Sunday afternoon. My ears are still ringing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...